Week 1
Only a week has passed and I already feel very at home here at CCSI and in Japan. This school is a jem! I've been blown away by the talent, skill and character of the students here. Most if not all of them are fluent in Japanese, and many in both Japanese and English. (It makes me wish I had been sent to Japanese school when I was a kid!) They're very inspiring, and I'm determined to carve out time to keep studying Japanese.



I've found that the best teachers so far are the youngest children, most of whom don't speak much English and all of whom aren't afraid to correct my broken Japanese. My listening comprehension is slowly getting better, but I have a long ways to go with speaking.
I've been put in charge of a few classes including a 7th grade grammar class once a week, art class twice a week (team teaching with my fellow intern Heidi,) and two tutoring sessions for English/language arts. I am really enjoying teaching these classes so far and I could see myself possibly doing this into the future.
I would appreciate prayer for a couple things. First, that I would be able to manage my time well. These past few days have flown by and as much as I've enjoyed them, I didn't spend as much time in the word and in quiet prayer and reflection as I would have liked to. I can't love and serve the people here well if I am not receiving daily and constant strength and life from God's word.
Second, that I would have the chance to interact and create relationships with non believers here. I might do this soon at one of the English camps... but still the language is a bit of a hurdle. I'm really hoping I will be able to find a language partner who can teach me Japanese and to whom I can teach English.
Bamboo Forrest next to church
Dirt road leading to school
The fate of the art teacher... endless sorting of art tools.
Elementary Art Class #2... Project "Cats on a Wall"
The view from Costco... (Fuji faintly visible to the right)
Something that astounded me... we leave our purchased goods at the entrance to the food court with no worries while we buy dinner.
A beautiful sunny day in oyumino
Unique Japanese advertising ^
Where I obtain my daily sustenance of onigiri and green tea
Great post, Sophie! So happy to hear things are going well! We miss you a bunch and are praying for you!!
ReplyDelete